Music. The soundtrack to your wedding. It is one of our absolute favourite parts of a wedding, and has the power to instantly change the vibe of any space. There is always a lot of excitement around a couples First Dance song, and we love seeing what our couples come up with, hearing the story behind it, and knowing that it will forever be "their" song! We decided to share some of our tips for picking out a first dance song, and some of our all-time favourite real FKE couple choices.
First Dance tips & tricks:
- Take one of your favourite songs and have it performed acoustically
- Find a song that both you and your partner love! Think about songs that mean a lot to you both lyrically and melodically.
- If you are nervous to be hitting the dance floor, make sure to pick a song that isn't too long! Find a song 3 minutes or less, or see if your DJ or band can cut it down for you.
- Don't think your first dance song has to be slow and sappy. Upbeat songs are just as great!
- Consider having your first dance before dinner, alongside your grand entrance to the reception. It's a great way to get a picture perfect moment and also get over any nerves.
- Hire a dance instructor to show you how to properly dance to your tune. We're not talking a perfectly choreographed performance, but instead learning the basics of how to lead and follow (so you can be like Fred & Ginger on the dance floor!)
- Practice with your wedding shoes on.
- Make sure your wedding dress bustles so you aren't tripping over extra fabric.
- Don't be afraid to try something fun and different. Your guests will love it!
Over the past 6 years of weddings, we have had the privilege of witnessing countless beautiful first dances. There are a few that stand out though, and still give us chills when we think back to them. Below are some of our personal favourite first dances from past FKE weddings. Give the songs a listen, close your eyes, and we promise you'll end up having a huge smile on your face!
Catherine & Patricio: Sunday Kind of Love by Etta James
Brad & Nicole: Cheek to Cheek by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong
Lauren & David: A Kiss to Build a Dream On by Louis Armstrong
Mica & Nate: Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You by Lauryn Hill
Barb & Nick: You Are the Best Thing by Ray LaMontagne (Acoustic Cover)
And just for fun here is our prediction for the #1 first dance song of 2017...